There are only 3 real food ingredients in these quick and healthy custards.
Can you guess why this is 3, 2, 1 Custard? Um hum. You use 3 eggs, 2 ripe bananas & 1 can of coconut milk.
3, 2, 1 Custard is my new favorite breakfast treat. The flavor is exactly like banana bread – but these custards are gluten-free and free of any added sugar!
In case you have never cooked custards, they cook in what’s called a water bath. Simply place your custards in a baking dish large enough to hold them, then add hot water about 1 inch up the sides of the custard cups. Using a tea kettle and pouring it in while the custards are on the oven shelf eliminates a lot of spills.
I use half pint mason jars to make my custards. This makes the custards easy to store in the fridge. Plus, it makes for a nice breakfast on the go! If you fill the mason jars about 2/3rds of the way full it makes 6 custards. It also leaves room for toppings. My girls enjoy cinnamon, walnuts and a bit of real maple syrup on theirs. I’m partial to a bit of toasted coconut, and I love adding about a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the blender too!
Looking for cheap coconut milk? Here’s how I save on buying organic coconut milk.
- 3 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 can coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Crack eggs into a blender. Add bananas and coconut milk. Blend.
- Place 6 half pint mason jars in a baking dish large enough to hold them.
- Divide custard batter evenly between the mason jars.
- To cook custards in a water bath, pour one inch hot water into pan surrounding mason jars.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the water bath before refrigerating.
Looking for more Paleo suitable recipes? Try Stuffed Eggplant.