I mentioned I had book club the other night. At the end of book club there was leftover wine. I know, there are some of you that are thinking, “Leftover wine? What is leftover wine?” Ikr? However, there are definitely occasions when a bottle of wine gets opened and doesn’t get finished. When that happens, I make ice cubes. Then, when I need red wine for a recipe, I just defrost to use in my recipes! Tastes so much better than the grocery store stuff.
These Beans Bolognese are whole food made easy. Make them on a cold winter night for a true comfort food.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stocks, chopped
- 2/3 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 14 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a deep skillet. Add the onion, celery, and carrots. Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain. Add the wine and tomatoes and allow to simmer another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve either over cooked brown rice or cooked whole wheat pasta.