Chocolate Whole Grain Waffles Recipe
My kids rarely agree on anything.
My oldest daughter is team waffles. My youngest daughter is team pancakes.
Me? I’m happy to indulge them both.
In my humble opinion, pancakes are easier to make on the fly. Therefore, I tend to serve them more often.
However, waffles do have those awesome little squares perfect for holding maximum amounts of maple syrup. So I try to work them into the breakfast mix often.
I really think every kitchen should have a waffle maker. You do not need anything fancy. I’ve had this waffle maker for over 15 years.
It’s easy to use and easy to clean.
In my latest attempt to make something new for breakfast, I decided to adapt my Four Grain Waffles into something a little sweeter.
I’ve found these stevia sweetened chocolate chips and have tried them in this recipe. I’m happy to report they bake up nicely inside these waffles.
One of the ingredients in this recipe – oat flour – may not be something you have in your pantry. But if you have oatmeal, you can easily make your own oat flour. Simply grind oatmeal in the blender.
I don’t worry about getting the flour super fine. In fact, I’m a-ok with some whole oatmeal flakes in my oatmeal flour. This recipe rises up so nice and fluffy, there doesn’t seem to be anything that will weight it down.
CHOCOLATE WHOLE GRAIN WAFFLES RECIPE
- 1 cup organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup oat flour (you can make oat flour by pulverized oats in the blender)
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup organic chocolate chips
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, buttermilk, eggs and oil. Whisk until blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Mix with a rubber spatula just until combined. There may still be some lumps.
- Pour 1/2 cup batter onto the preheated waffle iron. Sprinkle about 10 -12 chocolate chips over, and cook per your waffle iron’s instructions.
- Serve with strawberries and powdered sugar.
We like to serve our chocolate whole grain waffles plain with a few strawberries cut up on top. How would you top them?