A zesty meatless taco salad recipe with a homemade creamy cilantro dressing.
I always keep frozen organic corn in my freezer and a can of organic black beans in my pantry. With these two ingredients, I can quickly produce this tasty meatless taco salad.
I serve this salad as a main dish for either lunch or dinner.
The beans and corn are just warmed slightly with classic taco seasonings – chili powder and cumin. This mix is allowed to cool before adding to the salad.
I prefer to stick to iceberg lettuce for this salad since a classic taco is topped with iceberg shreds. However, you can replace the lettuce with whatever lettuce you prefer.
Also, you can use whatever type of tomato you have on hand for this recipe. In the winter, I find myself buying more cherry tomatoes. I find they have more flavor than the larger varieties during the winter months.
I like chopped mini bell peppers in this recipe. Other great additions would be sliced radishes or grated carrots. Really, use whatever veggies you have on hand that your family will eat!
Finally, I always use this homemade creamy cilantro recipe to top my taco salad. It is so delicious I could eat it with a spoon!
Using the food processor makes this dressing effortless to make. If you don’t have a food processor, it can just as readily be made in a blender.
- 1 14-ounce can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup red and yellow peppers, diced
- optional: avocado, shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, stems removed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice 1 lime
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- In a large skillet over low heat, warm the beans and corn with the chili power and cumin just until fragrant. Turn off heat and allow to cool while assembling the salad.
- To a large salad bowl, add the lettuce, tomatoes and peppers. Add the bean and corn mixture and toss.
- Add all dressing ingredients to the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until dressing is smooth. Top salad with dressing.
- Top with optional avocado and cheese. Serve.
Warm some whole grain tortillas to serve on the side. Your family won’t miss the meat!