Slow cooker cauliflower mash is one of my go-to side dish recipes.
However, it’s not one of those slow cook all day recipes. You cook the cauliflower on high for 4 hours.
This means I’ll throw the cauliflower in the slow cooker about the same time the girls get home from school.
Our afternoons are spent running from practices to events to doctor’s appointments to errands. Raising teens, I feel like my life gets thrown into high gear in the afternoon. We are often gone for so much of the afternoon, there is no time for dinner prep.
With the cauliflower in the slow cooker, it is nice and tender by the time we’re ready for dinner. I could serve it as is, but we adore cauliflower mash in our house.
Cauliflower is high in vitamin C and vitamin B-6 and low in calories. Turn it into a mash and you won’t miss the high calorie potatoes.
Of course, I do like to add a bit of butter and milk. These are optional ingredients. Try chives and green onions to get flavor with less calories.
- 5 cups cauliflower chopped into large florets
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: chives or green onions
- Place cauliflower florets in a slow cooker. Add enough water to cover.
- Cook 4 hours on high.
- Drain water off cauliflower.
- Add to a food processor along with the milk and butter. Process until smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Top with chives or green onions.