Did you know you can make popcorn balls without corn syrup?
All natural honey acts as the sweetener and binder in these sweet and spicy popcorn balls.
I’m not kidding when I call these sweet and spicy. They start out sweet and innocent but then they hit you. BANG! Sooooo good and spicy!
Of course, if you don’t enjoy that much spice, you can add less. Or leave it out all together and just have sweet popcorn balls.
But for those of us that love spicy food, these don’t disappoint!
Two things to remember when making these:
1. Make sure there are no popcorn kernels left in your popcorn. They will kill your teeth if they get made into a popcorn ball.
2. Pack your popcorn balls together just like you would a snowball. You’d be surprised at how much pressure you can apply when forming a ball.
- 6 cups popped organic popcorn
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together honey, olive oil, salt, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon. Pour over popcorn and stir gently to coat.
- Bake popcorn for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and toss popcorn to evenly coat with melted honey.
- Bake 10 more minutes and stir again. Bake a final 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 3 minutes before forming 6 evenly sized popcorn balls.
Once you’ve made the basic recipe, play around with the spices you add. One time I made these with cumin and cayenne pepper. It was the perfect Southwest combination!
What other spice combinations would you use?