I’m not sure if you’ve heard or not. There’s a holiday called Valentine’s Day. It’s about love and what do I love more than chocolate? Oh right. That family of mine. So how do I show them I love them? With my love of chocolate – in the form of homemade chocolate waffles.
I’m on a waffle kick lately. So, I decided to adapt my Four Grain Waffles into something a little sweeter. A little gooey-er. A little more appropriate for a holiday. These waffles are still loaded with whole grain goodness – and then a little somethin’ somethin’ by the addition of cocoa powder and chocolate chips!
- 1 cup organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup oat flour (you can make oat flour by pulverized oats in the blender)
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup organic chocolate chips
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, buttermilk, eggs and oil. Whisk until blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Mix with a rubber spatula just until combined. There may still be some lumps.
- Pour 1/2 cup batter onto the preheated waffle iron. Sprinkle about 10 -12 chocolate chips over, and cook per your waffle iron’s instructions.
- Serve with strawberries and powdered sugar.
If you didn’t top them with strawberries and powdered sugar, how would you top them?