I’m not sure if you’ve heard or not. There’s a holiday called Valentine’s Day. It’s about love and what do I love more than chocolate? Oh right. That family of mine. So how do I show them I love them? With my love of chocolate – in the form of homemade chocolate waffles.
I’m on a waffle kick lately. So, I decided to adapt my Four Grain Waffles into something a little sweeter. A little gooey-er. A little more appropriate for a holiday. These waffles are still loaded with whole grain goodness – and then a little somethin’ somethin’ by the addition of cocoa powder and chocolate chips!
- 1 cup organic unbleached all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup oat flour (you can make oat flour by pulverized oats in the blender)
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup organic chocolate chips
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, buttermilk, eggs and oil. Whisk until blended. Pour the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Mix with a rubber spatula just until combined. There may still be some lumps.
- Pour 1/2 cup batter onto the preheated waffle iron. Sprinkle about 10 -12 chocolate chips over, and cook per your waffle iron’s instructions.
- Serve with strawberries and powdered sugar.
If you didn’t top them with strawberries and powdered sugar, how would you top them?
Are You Tired of Processed Crap?
Subscribe Today and Download My Free Healthy Grocery List. It's your cheatsheet to a less processed life. Then, each week, I'll help you take charge of your health by emailing you the best real food recipes and non-toxic DIYs.