This is a nice side dish to the broiled tilapia on my meal plan. I chose fish for Friday out of respect for any/all celebrating the Lenten season. I just broil mine with a bit of lemon juice.
I often find that making one dish that requires prep work combined with one dish that requires no prep work helps my dinners come together quickly. Golden Carrot Bake is a substantial whole food side dish that really compliments a simple main dish.
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- Combine carrots, water, brown rice, salt and pepper in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover. Cook for 25 minutes - do NOT drain.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, preheat oven to 350.
- Stir in cheese, milk, eggs and onion. Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Bake for one hour.