This recipe works for a Meatless Monday, but it’s also great as a side with a grilled steak. (I served it as a side to a buffalo flank steak.) Full of veggies, it does require some prep work. However, you can fix it up the night before, then just throw on the grill the next day.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 pkg frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of excess moisture
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 oz) jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 T olive oil
- Peel eggplant and slice into 1/2 inch thick slices. Lay out on a paper towel and sprinkle lightly with salt. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Rinse salt off eggplant and chop into bite-size pieces. Add to boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine eggplant, chopped tomato, spinach, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, and artichoke hearts - including marinade liquid - and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Set aside. Can be refrigerated overnight at this point.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Wipe portobello mushrooms, remove stem, and scrape out gills with a spoon. Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Stuff portobello mushrooms with eggplant mixture.
- Grill for 12 minutes with lid closed. Serve immediately.