Homemade Apple Pie Spice is another easy-to-make spice mix. Why make your own spice mixes? Have you ever bought a spice mix and read the ingredients? You might be surprised to find that they often times include additives. Buy your own pure ingredients, make your own mixes, and avoid the bad stuff. This apple pie spice can be substituted in any recipe calling for apple pie spice or use it in any of the ways suggested below.
In apple pie, use 1 1/2 teaspoons homemade apple pie spice for every 6 cups sliced apples
Just like my recipe for Pumpkin Pie Spice, this mix fits perfectly in a tall spice jar. So feel free to wash one out and reuse and repurpose it to hold your spice mix.
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Tablespoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Optional: add 1/2 teaspoon grated dried lemon peel to add some brightness
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients.
- Pour into an airtight container and it will last for months.
Suggested Uses for Homemade Apple Pie Spice:
- Add to egg batter when making french toast
- Add to sugar cookie recipes to make Apple Pie Spice cookies
- Use in any baked apple recipe
- Use in apple cider recipes
- Add to my Slow Cooker Brown Rice Pudding
- Spread a bagel with peanut butter and sprinkle spice mix over
- Sprinkle on roasted butternut squash
- Mix with turbinado sugar. Spread toast with butter and sprinkle apples pie spice sugar mix over.
- Add to Paleo baked custard
- Use it for Apple Pie Fruit Smoothies. Tastes just like eating pie!
- Use it in PIE! With a delicious Homemade Whole Wheat Pie Crust.
To get the best prices on my spices, I shop through Amazon. If you shop Amazon, make sure you are paying the lowest prices by reading:
What creative ways will you use Homemade Apple Pie Spice?
Eat Healthy and Save Money
Subscribe to The Greenbacks Gal Weekly email to get the best organic deals, green steals and real food meals delivered to your inbox each week.
PLUS GET A HEALTHY GROCERY LIST FREE!