How to Make Ropa Vieja in the Slow Cooker
Do you get tired of fussy slow cooker recipes? You know the ones. First you saute, then you brown, then you slow cook?
Sometimes those recipes don’t feel like short cut recipes. Not to mention, you have extra dishes you then have to clean.
When you make Ropa Vieja in the slow cooker, it really is as easy as dumping in the ingredients and setting the slow cooker on low. Then, it cooks all day. A full 8 hours all day. It’s the kind of recipe you can set and forget.
If you’ve never had Ropa Vieja before, it is a Cuban recipe where a cut of beef is stewed in a tangy tomato sauce then topped with salty green olives.
This is not a time to skimp on the olives. Head to the olive bar and get good quality ones. You don’t need much, and a good quality olive will make this recipe.
Due to the long cooking time, the flank steak used in this recipe becomes unbelievably tender and is easily shredded with two forks.
You’ll find this recipe is perfect if you follow a paleo, whole 30 or sugar detox diet.
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 15 ounce can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon organic pure cane sugar (optional)
- sea salt and ground pepper
- 3 pound flank steak
- 1/2 cup pitted and sliced green olives
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, combine the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, green pepper, garlic, cumin, oregano, and sugar. Stir to create a sauce.
- Lay flank steak on top of the sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove steak from slow cooker. Add apple cider vinegar and olives to the sauce and stir.
- Shred steak with two forks. Return to the slow cooker and toss with the sauce before serving.
If you are, or you know of, a working mom who needs healthy, satisfying, and easy to make recipes, (or maybe that describes you!) please share this recipe with them.
Have you tried Ropa Vieja before?
Are You Tired of Processed Crap?
Subscribe Today and Download My Free Healthy Grocery List. It's your cheatsheet to a less processed life. Then, each week, I'll help you take charge of your health by emailing you the best real food recipes and non-toxic DIYs.