These Spicy Black Bean Cakes are a savory, healthy version of a pancake. When I was growing up, my mom instituted the “Sunday Night Supper.” Sunday night suppers were when we got to have breakfast for dinner! Man, did my brother and I think that was the greatest thing ever. Now, as a mom, I truly see the brilliance. It’s called – I have no plan for dinner, what can I make that is quick and easy? Breakfast foods are both.
Before you think “a black bean pancake?” I want you to know my husband pronounced them “company worthy.” And these were gobbled up as fast as I could cook them!
What’s more? All the main ingredients can be found on my Staples List. AND by serving just one meatless main a week, you can serve your family a meal that is cost conscious and good for the environment!
Spicy Black Bean Cakes
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed
1 C all purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t salt
3/4 C milk
1 T canola oil
1. Saute onions and garlic until soft.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine onions, garlic, and beans.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cumin, and salt.
4. Beat together the eggs, milk and oil. Stir into the flour mixture.
5. Add the flour mixture into the bean mixture and stir to combine.
6. Heat additional canola oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. When a drop of water sizzles in the pan, drop bean mixture in by 1/3 cupfuls.
7. Cook like you would pancakes.
8. Serve hot with any topping you may have on hand – salsa, grated cheese or sour cream.
Have a meatless main meal you’d like to share? Please link up here, or leave the recipe in the comments. Make sure you are linking to your post – not your main page – so everyone can find the recipe later!