I debated if I should feature Tortilla Pie for this week’s Meatless Monday recipe. It does require that you turn on your oven, which I’m betting many of you are reluctant to do. Even here in Colorado it is smoking hot. But all of the ingredients were either in my garden or in my pantry – which makes it kind of a no-brainer. If you keep the items on my pantry staples list – such as black beans - on hand, this is a quick and easy one to whip up.
2 t olive oil
1 chopped green pepper
1 chopped small onion
1 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
1 t oregano
1 t chili powder
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
2 C tomato juice
1 can black beans
1 can cannellini beans
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add peppers and next 7 ingredients. Saute 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomato juice; cook an additional 8 – 10 minutes.
2. Drain beans. Add black beans to one bowl with half the tomato sauce. Add cannellini beans to a second bowl with the remainder of the tomato sauce.
3. Line a 9 inch pie plate with foil, allowing 6 inches of overhang on each side. Repeat in the opposite direction.
5. Place another tortilla over the first layer, pressing down gently. Repeat with the cannellini mixture. Continue making layers alternating bean mixtures. End with a bean and cheese layer on top.
6. Wrap the foil edges around the tortilla pie.
7. Bake at 325 for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove foil packet from pie plate and unwrap pie. Slide it onto a serving dish using a spatula. Cut into wedges to serve. Feeds 6 to 8.
Happy Meatless Monday!
Linked to Tasty Tuesday