Things to love about this recipe:
- You do not need to turn on the oven and heat up the kitchen
- Using a coupon and a sale, you can get whole wheat pasta for under .50
- There is no oil in the sauce – making this a very light recipe
- This meatless version has plenty of protein – but you can throw chopped, cooked chicken in if that’s the way you roll
- If you are growing your own peppers and tomatoes, this becomes an uber cheap summer dish
Whole Wheat Penne in Red Pepper Sauce
1 1/2 C Whole Wheat Penne, uncooked
Follow package instructions and cook your penne. Meanwhile make the sauce.
Red Pepper Sauce:
1 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 C Sun Dried Tomatoes
1/4 C Cashews
1/4 C fresh Basil Leaves
1 Clove Garlic
Put all sauce ingredients in a food processor and process until it is a nice, thick sauce.
Toss the Red Pepper Sauce with the pasta. Add to it:
1 Yellow Pepper Diced
1/2 C Feta Cheese
Top with a lemon slice to squeeze over. I served mine over a bed of spinach – but that’s optional!
Linked to Tasty Tuesday