It’s National Coffee Day! I love my coffee. It makes my mornings soooo happy.
As much as I love my morning coffee and getting an occasional latte from Starbucks, I’ve had to come up with my own Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe. I used to have an obsession with pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks. I could not wait for pumpkin spice latte season. I eagerly anticipated it’s arrival much as a three year old anticipates a visit from Santa.
But last year, my love affair with Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes ended.
It’s not that I don’t enjoy the flavors, I just have reduced my sugar consumption by so much, that the Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Lattes were too sweet. Sickeningly so. I tried asking for a half syrup. Not good. Not good at all. Then I asked myself “exactly what is it that they are pumping?” Chemicals, that’s what. I had no choice. I had to come up with a recipe that gave me all the delicious goodness of a Pumpkin Spice Latte but with a level of sugar I enjoyed and using real food ingredients I’m dedicated to enjoying.
I’ve played with several recipes, and this one is my favorite. I love the rich, pumpkin flavors. I love that it has real pumpkin. I’ve even convinced myself that it can be considered getting my vitamin A because of the real pumpkin. Take that Starbucks, my latte has vitamins! Give this recipe a go and see if you don’t like the homemade version better than a purchased one!
- 2 cups organic milk
- 3 tablespoons organic canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 shots espresso or 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk with the sugar and pumpkin and warm over medium heat. Stir in pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour one shot of espresso into two mugs. OR, add 1/4 cup coffee to 2 mugs. Add 1/2 of the milk mixture to each mug.
- If using frother, froth the milk.
- Top with an extra sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice
Try a healthy food ingredient Pumpkin Spice Latte & let me know what you think!