It’s National Coffee Day! I love my coffee. It makes my mornings soooo happy.
As much as I love my morning coffee and getting an occasional latte from Starbucks, I’ve had to come up with my own Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe. I used to have an obsession with pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks. I could not wait for pumpkin spice latte season. I eagerly anticipated it’s arrival much as a three year old anticipates a visit from Santa.
But last year, my love affair with Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes ended.
It’s not that I don’t enjoy the flavors, I just have reduced my sugar consumption by so much, that the Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Lattes were too sweet. Sickeningly so. I tried asking for a half syrup. Not good. Not good at all. Then I asked myself “exactly what is it that they are pumping?” Chemicals, that’s what. I had no choice. I had to come up with a recipe that gave me all the delicious goodness of a Pumpkin Spice Latte but with a level of sugar I enjoyed and using real food ingredients I’m dedicated to enjoying.
I’ve played with several recipes, and this one is my favorite. I love the rich, pumpkin flavors. I love that it has real pumpkin. I’ve even convinced myself that it can be considered getting my vitamin A because of the real pumpkin. Take that Starbucks, my latte has vitamins! Give this recipe a go and see if you don’t like the homemade version better than a purchased one!
- 2 cups organic milk
- 3 tablespoons organic canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 shots espresso or 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk with the sugar and pumpkin and warm over medium heat. Stir in pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour one shot of espresso into two mugs. OR, add 1/4 cup coffee to 2 mugs. Add 1/2 of the milk mixture to each mug.
- If using frother, froth the milk.
- Top with an extra sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice
Try a healthy food ingredient Pumpkin Spice Latte & let me know what you think!
Eat Healthy and Save Money
Subscribe to The Greenbacks Gal Weekly email to get the best organic deals, green steals and real food meals delivered to your inbox each week.
PLUS GET A HEALTHY GROCERY LIST FREE!