So this Sweet & Crunchy Mix Recipe wasn’t on the meal plan. That’s right – I deviated from the plan!
I’ve learned something about my family. We are snackers. We like to have something we can grab and nosh on in between meals. I like it when those snacks are made with whole food ingredients. So I came up with this Sweet & Crunchy mix. The almonds make it really satisfying, so a handful or two goes a long way. It’s not unlike a granola, but there’s no oil or butter in it. Since it calls for egg whites, I saved the egg yolks and just tossed them in with the other eggs in the Chicken Stir Fried Rice.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 250. Grease the bottom of a jelly roll pan.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with a wire whisk for 30 seconds or until slightly frothy. Add water and beat an additional 30 seconds. Add rolled oats, almonds and cranberries and stir until well coated.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon & salt. Sprinkle over oat mixture and stir to evenly coat.
- Spread mixture evenly onto prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Are you a snacker?