I got an email from the junior high this week. Apparently the “i love boobies” bracelets have become all the rage….for the boys at the school. When questioned about the bracelets and if the boys knew what the campaign was about, the answer was no. They just thought the bracelets were cool.
Teenage boys wearing i love boobies bracelets and thinking they are all cool. Yep. Sounds like junior high to me.
I won’t be wearing an i love boobies bracelet this week. But I will be attending the Susan Komen Survivors Luncheon with my mom. She’s a survivor, and I’ll be celebrating with her!
Since October is Breast Cancer Awareness month I wanted to highlight some of the foods to eat to better your health and to hopefully ward off this disease. I’ve even added ways you can save on the purchase of these foods!
So – No Excuses! Do something good for yourself today!
1. Milk fortified with Vitamin D – Vitamin D is thought to reduce the likelihood of developing breast cancer. Sign up with Horizon to be able to print off coupons for Organic Milk. Not a milk drinker? Another easy source of vitamin D is the sun – so take your lunch outside and roll up your sleeves and try to get 20 minutes of FREE cancer preventing vitamin D!
2. Dark, Leafy Greens for Calcium – Getting enough calcium is crucial to bone health, which can be key if you ever get breast cancer and need radiation. Eat dark, leafy greens or look for dairy products fortified with calcium. They also make some pretty tasty chewable calcium supplements! You can sign up with Viactiv to get a $1/1 calcium supplement coupon. The chocolate ones are pretty delicious!
3. Tomatoes – The lycopene is tomatoes is linked to lower breast cancer rates. The 10/10 RP has a $1/2 coupon for Nature Sweet Cherry Tomatoes! Buy yourself some good health on your next trip to the store.
4. Green Tea – Green tea contains high levels of EGCG – a compound that inhibits the growth of breast cancer in mice. Celestial Seasonings makes 11 different green teas. Use the $1/1 Celestial Seasonings coupon from the 10/3 SS insert to get some inexpensive tea. Or download the $1/1 Celestial Seasonings coupon from the Whole Foods website. Your Whole Foods may even let you combine the 2 coupons to get a dirt cheap box of green tea!
5. Yellow – Orange Vegetables – The reason for the color of these vegetables is the beta-carotene they contain. Beta-carotene is linked to lower incidents in breast cancer. A bag of organic baby carrots will run you about $1.00. Or, you can use the .75/1 Green Giant coupon from the 10/03 General Mills insert to buy them frozen.
6. Cherries – Cherries have been shown to inhibit the growth the mammary cancer in rats. Use the .75/1 coupon to buy Frozen Organic Cherries from Cascadian Farms I love to throw frozen cherries into oatmeal at breakfast time!
7. Whole Grains – It’s important to choose whole grains over refined for better overall health. Have you used your .75/1 Barilla Whole Grain pasta coupon from the 8/29 SS insert yet? It expires 10/24 – so make sure you do!
8. Foods with Omega 3 – Good fats are good for you! How about tuna? There is a $1/2 BumbleBee Tuna coupon in the 9/12 SS insert. Or, head over to Walgreens and use their in-ad coupon to get BumbleBee Tuna for .99. There are always plenty of fliers at the front of the store!
9. Soy – Soy contains phytoestrogens thought to block cancerous growth. How about Soymilk? More great things about soymilk? Soymilk has just as much vitamin D as regular milk! Sign up with Silk to get a .75/1 coupon!
10. Nuts – Nuts contain antioxidants that are linked to prohibiting cancerous growths. Use your $1/1 Planters Nutgrove coupon form the 8/29 SS insert and take along a cancer fighting snack!
As you can see, there are plenty of ways to save on foods that are good for you!
Linked to Top Ten Tuesday