Adding carrot to your whole grain waffles is actually a great way to add nutrition.
If you have a kiddo who is a reluctant vegetable eater, sneaking carrots into a waffle can help get them an all important serving of carrots – without them even realizing it!
This recipe calls for using a juicer. I have an ancient juicer that I still use. When I use my juicer, it separates the pulp from juice. That means I’m missing out on fiber. This recipe uses both the juice and the pulp!
No juicer? No problem. Use store-bought carrot juice, then just substitute shredded carrot for the carrot pulp. It will make your clean-up a heck of a lot easier. 🙂
I use white whole wheat flour quite a bit in my recipes. It has all the nutrition of whole wheat flour but is lighter, meaning it won’t make your baked goods as heavy and dense as whole wheat flour will.
The next lazy Sunday morning you have, preheat your waffle iron and make up a batch of these for your family. The recipe only makes 4 waffles, so you might find you need to double it.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten or egg substitute equivalent
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup carrot pulp (you may substitute grated carrot)
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the juice, eggs, and butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir.
- Add the carrot pulp and mix just until well incorporated.
- Cook on preheated waffle iron following waffle iron instructions.
So let’s say you don’t want to try the carrot waffles.
Please, please, please try the Almond Butter Waffle Topping on your favorite waffles.
It’s not only delicious, but it adds protein. I find it helps keep me fuller, longer, than a waffle topped with just maple syrup.
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Apple Pie Spice or 1 teaspoon Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Mix all ingredients together and use to top your favorite waffles.
Have you added vegetables to your waffles before?
Eat Healthy and Save Money
Subscribe to The Greenbacks Gal Weekly email to get the best organic deals, green steals and real food meals delivered to your inbox each week.
PLUS GET A HEALTHY GROCERY LIST FREE!